When the Instagram access token expires or its value gets misplaced and a web page embed stops working, the access token needs to be regenerated. The article below will walk you through the steps required to regenerate the Instagram access token.
Generating Instagram Access Token
Retrieve Client ID
- Sign in to Instagram Developer Documentation portal
- Click on Manage Clients at the top of the page
- You will see a list of registered applications you've created
- Find the right app and click on Manage
- Copy Client ID at the top of the screen
Retrieve registered redirection URI
- While managing client properties, switch to the Security tab
- Copy one of the valid redirect URIs to a temp location
- Leave all other settings untouched
Generate access token URL
- Enter the following URL into your browser's address bar: https://api.instagram.com/oauth/authorize/?client_id=CLIENT-ID&redirect_uri=REDIRECT-URI&response_type=token
- Replace CLIENT-ID with client id value from Retrieve Client ID step 5 above
- Replace REDIRECT-URI with value from Retrieve registered redirection URI step 2
- Hit enter to go to the generated URL
- You will be redirected to the REDIRECT-URI - depending on the value this may or may not be a real site so you may or may not get an error. It doesn't matter.
- Look at the address and notice the #access_token parameter and its value. Copy this value and use it in your web embed
- NOTE that the first part of the access token (before the period) is your app id. You may need it for your embed as well!
Problems? Questions? Get in touch